Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thought Process and Technique: Fishing Boats








Over in my daily blog, I posted two photos on August 1, photos of fishing boats in Newport, Oregon. Linda H. commented, "Have these been "cleaned" or something in Topaz? Or something similar? They look so pristine." Here is the link to that day's post.

My response is that yes, I did tweak them in Photoshop to bring out what attracted me to the scene in the first place. Here's my thought process along with what I did:

I liked the overall quiet and peaceful feeling at the boat docks that morning. The sky was overcast, but there was an interesting texture in the clouds. The water was still and reflected both the boats and the sky beautifully. Because of the overcast lighting, the blue color of the fishing vessel "Caremi" really glowed. From a different vantage point, I liked how the F/V "Finn" stood alone at the dock, reflected nicely in the water.

I was working with a 24mm-85mm lens on a full-frame camera sensor, so I wanted to show some openness, vastness in the scene. I liked being able to fill my frame with the whole string of boats, from the blue "Caremi" all the way back to the white "Finn." 

Notice that now I've identified exactly what I liked about the scene. Clouds. Reflections. String of boats. Solitary "Finn."

I used a polarizing filter to reduce reflections in the water and in the sky so that the texture of the clouds would show through. (A graduated neutral density filter would have been appropriate, but I can't use a tripod on the docks -- they're too narrow and they move.) I also underexposed by a third of a stop.

In the first photo, you see my original image. All I did was adjust Levels, which helped bring out some of the texture in the sky. The clouds didn't look quite as texture-ish as I wanted, so I brought the image into Topaz Adjust 5 and applied a "Photo Pop" setting. (Photo 2) Nice clouds now, nice reflections. And the scene lightened up a bit, as I knew it would.

But the boats still looked rather dull and murky, too clumped together. And the blue of the "Caremi" didn't look as dramatic as I remembered. So I dodged the boats, applying the effect just to the places I wanted to perk up. (Photo 3)

My last step was to then burn the sky just a bit, to give it a little more drama so that the boats would stand out even more, sandwiched as they are between sky and reflections-of-sky. (Photo 4)

I followed the same routine with the photo of F/V "Finn." You see my original version (adjusted Levels), then added Topaz Adjust 5 "Photo Pop" to pump up the clouds a bit. (Photo 2) Then burned the sky a little. (Photo 3) Then dodged the boat to make it pop more. (Photo 4)

There are hundreds of ways of accomplishing the same thing, and maybe you've got a tried and true way of enhancing your work that's better than this. If so, I would love to hear how you would have handled this situation. I'm no Photoshop guru, as you know, but I like sharing how I work and I am open to new tips and tricks. And Linda H.? I hope this answered your question.

©Carol Leigh

6 comments:

Judy said...

Carol: Thanks for sharing & showing step-by-step process of these photos. They are stunning! I'm thinking you need to get your portfolio together and have a show in Newport -- I'm betting the fishermen would love it. Have they seen any of these photos?

Linda Heinsohn said...

Yes, Carol! Such a splendid explanation! And now I understand that it was a multi-step process rather than a one-time run through in Topaz.

I'm beginning to be able to tell what I like about my own photos just by writing about them on my blog. Perhaps soon I'll be able to say what's good about some photo I'm aspiring to make so I can tweak it before I go "click!"

Many thanks!
Linda

Marianne Skov Jensen said...

Testing...testing...for the inth time! Thanks for adding "name/url" :-)
Love your new name! Great content. You are always so generous with your knowledge. Thanks for all you do!

Elena and Russ said...

Hi Carol,
These are beautiful images. No matter what tools you use the final result is always superb.
Just because you asked I will squeeze my 2 cents in.
I think compared to burn and dodge tools, adjustment curve layers with masks might work very well for you, as they provide more control over the changes you make, they are non-destructive and very powerful.

Carol Leigh said...

Hmmm... The burn/dodge technique I use involves a separate layer, overlay blending mode, fill = neutral, select a brush, opacity around 6% or so, white brush "dodges" and black brush "burns." I've made it an action. I'm not using the dodge/burn tools that PS provides. Is the way you're describing easier than what I'm doing? Not sure I understand what you're suggesting, but would love to know more . . . Thanks!

Marianne Skov Jensen said...

Elena and Ross are absolutely right about Adjustment Layers being more efficient. Believe it or not, they have been available since Elements 2!!! Here's a link to a REALLY OLD tutorial of mine (I did edit my name).

Skip to Step 4 for adjustment layers. Note I used Levels because I wanted to cater to Elements users too and they don't have Curves (which is more powerful)

http://ezpixels.com/tutorials/EZ_Workflow.pdf