Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Indecent exposure . . .


While in Astoria, Oregon, I photographed reflections in water because I loved how rich the blue and gold colors were (top photo).

Glancing to my left, I saw a rusty piling that had some light blue paint splattered on it (bottom photo). The piling was lighter and brighter than the background water. If I metered off the darker water, the piling would be way overexposed. So I metered off the piling, figuring it was better to have the piling properly exposed, not caring if the water went darker. Did it work? Well, yeah, except that I've really lost all the drama in the water, haven't I?

Luckily when I take miserable shots such as this, I can keep them, blithely writing them off as "teaching tools!" Ha! Love this job...

©Carol Leigh

No comments: