Monday, September 3, 2012

What I Saw/What I Made



Making something from what might appear (at first) to be nothing is what I take especial delight in doing. And yesterday, at a boat yard (my playground), I found a lot of nothing to shoot. Here are two examples of what I found "hidden" on a boat's rudder. I've also included a shot of the rudder so you can see what I saw.

You know, it's like macro photography on a larger scale. When shooting close-up, we find something small to fill our frame, something extracted from something larger. Here I zoomed in on just part of a larger whole, making what I think is a pleasing design. Ah, but then it's also like landscape photography, isn't it? Out of everything that's laid out in front of us, we extract from a larger whole, choosing which mountain to include, which grove of trees, which barn, etc. Taking this to the absurd, it's like celestial photography, isn't it? We select out part of a larger whole, creating compositions that are pleasing to us... And on it goes.

Anyway, this is what I was doing yesterday. And now you see what I saw, and you see what I made.

©Carol Leigh, seeing the big picture in a very small way

No comments: