Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer Light and Shadow


Right now, here in the northern hemisphere it's full-blown summer, which usually means lots of sunshine, lots of light, and lots of shadows. Got shutters? Got mini-blinds? Look at how early morning or late afternoon light pours in through the windows, the blinds/shutters creating dramatic shadows. When you see that light, those shadows, find SOMEthing, ANYthing to put in that light.

Your light may be fleeting, so you'll have to act fast. Here you see two photos I took in my kitchen a couple of years ago. I quickly hung a straw hat on a cabinet knob to create a summer-esque photo. And then opened another cupboard just to see what was there that I could use as a subject in the sunlight. A bag of coffee and a canister in the back was what I could find and shoot before the sun dipped behind the offshore fogbank and was gone.

If I could paint, the subject matter of a straw hat and bright, stripey light/shadow would be a wonderful composition to attempt.

Ordinary subjects in extraordinary light. That's what we're looking for!

©Carol Leigh, always happy to see light here on the Oregon coast

No comments: